Author Topic: Yeah, I'ma bit "nerdy" about things...  (Read 9530 times)

Dragon

Re: Yeah, I'ma bit "nerdy" about things...
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2011, 04:53:45 PM »
when I first discovered airsoft, it was actually an "after-thought" as I was browsing around walmart's adult toy section ( the sporting goods).

Since day 1, I've had a "vision" of something that goes beyond even MilSim participation.

Problem is, I'm like 1 out of 1,000 people that would dare to do much "different".

Of course, I got sucked into the realism, and tactics of higher grade airsoft, and MilSim, of such I enjoy very much.

But, my originating idea, has never taken hold or effect... a Airsoft Combat Simulation LARP , a real LARP ... outrageous loadouts and outfits , complete story lines, and acting out real roles developed by the participants themselves.

The basic idea:

Corporation Wars...

High end, High tech Corporations,  doing dirty-underhanded things to their competitors. All Corps, hire their own "private security divisions" , that are more like small armies.

But legally, they can't ACTUALLY do anything to each other...

So they turn to more... "shadier" means... hiring folks, that stay off the grid, as small mercenary teams, to do "jobs" of this nature for them.

From intell gathering, to intell/prototype stealing... disruption of production, to abduction of CEOs and developers...

It's Illicit activity , gone wild.  It's Black-Ops on the edge.

(The trick is, staying out of the news, being killed by CORP Security , or arrested. The better you go "undetected" the better, stay "invisible"... YOU were never there.)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:00:50 PM by Dragon »

Reverandff7

• Playing smarter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2011, 08:48:35 PM »
OK dude this would be an amazing freaking OP dude... like a team of 5 or something going against some stuff... anyways you just gave me some idea's we will have to go over lol
Travis Perry
N.O.V.A. Team Leader
G&G SIG553
Custom SIG552
H&k Umerex G36CV
We G17
CYMA 030(with highcap mag)

Network Of Violent Activities - Thats what we are and what we do.

Supercell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • So Go Airsoft
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2011, 08:59:08 PM »
We tried it last year while we were in Nixa.  I think the only way to make it work is if you can let people develope their roles slowly so it makes sense?  They all looked at me while I briefed and as I got into specific characters and the Corporations their eyes started glazing over.  It was pretty involved but we took it way down from where we wanted the Scenerio to be because we knew that would just cause more problems. 
We had setup a monetary system and were able to buy weapons and tools for each chapter of the Scenerio.  You could bribe...(and that was done at the end just because I played the role of the guy you could buy off.  And I helped prompt it)  But we still have our 2 companys and security forces.  And on and on and on.

But we will be bringing some of that back now that we have the 2 buildings.  And when we get the outdoor place done we will build the scenerio to use both indoor and outdoor.

Ok, I won't bore you anymore.
Jon
So Go Airsoft

Dragon

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2011, 10:06:36 AM »
That wasn't boring Jon...

and you are right, which is why it's so hard to get people to... step out of a "traditional" role of airsoft combat, and MilSim to participate in something like that.

It takes alot of patience, and some preparation both on the part of the Organizers, and the participants.
The latter part, is the difficult part.

( It seems once a replica is in one's hands, ... the instinct to use that trigger takes over ...  :D Rational thought, goes out the window.)

But... still, I think something of this nature would be very cool and inspiring, if done correctly.

The "traditional role" of mindless combatants, should be "replaced" up front ... with more of a MINDSET that you are more of an Actor... like one you'd see on your favorite TV show, or in a movie or book. A role, where others join in and play their parts, and it all fits together to not only be full of action and fun, but also develops it's own "story" that can be expanded and built off of to continue the "saga".

Thats the hard part though.

It takes alot of set up and pre-planning to do something like that, and participants involved should also have time to "prepare" for the role they are going to create and participate with.
 You simply cannot have folks just "show up" and expect em to have a clue as to what is expected or for them to be "involved".  They simply will not get it.
The downside to most airsoft players is... they simply desire to shot at other folks, and shoot alot.  Everything else, just gets shoved into the background. 

As an example... how many "objective" based games done in Sogos ( like gathering the bombs or bags) , are ignored by participants, and they just try and shoot whatever moves, or try and hold up in a spot waiting for shoot-outs?  Even simple objectives, seem to take a backseat to the thrill of racking up Kills.

Another aspect to it is... a nice place to pull something like that off.  Sogos would be excellent, as it's a bit modular, and has multifunctional "sectors" that can support a small LARP type of game.
Me, I've been stuck with more or less an atrocious outdoors place, with huge elevation terrain disadvantages, and the HUGE disadvantage of not being able to build any structures on it... not exactly an ideal spot to even try and host even a one shot, or introductory to the "idea".

Back to player participation...
Part of it would be outfitting and wearing of some sort of "costume"... even if that "costume" was a MilSimmer's Dream of HSLD gear, and Digital Coded Cammo.  Or , even something "odd" that seemed to fit the game being played, or the "characters" portrayed in it.
 To me, part of what makes stories and movies so great, is that you get IMMERSED in it.  Part of that is Visual Representation of what Characters look like, and wear.
( Even in MilSim it's important) ... it's kinda difficult to get into immersion , when folks don't look the part. 
( Lets take an example here...
If every "zombie" in any zombie movie you've watched, didn't look like a zombie... no dirt, grunge, blood, rotting flesh, ... no Visual representation that they are a "zombie" ... just they look like everyday people with a limp... It wouldn't catch your interest much would it?
If the star FBI agent, didn't look or act like an FBI agent... you'd not pay much attention to that person right? )

Another aspect of player participation, would be to define their role and persona for the game being played...
 It goes beyond gear and weapons used, though those are VISUAL clues ... participants need to make decisions and stick to them about their " part" , or their "role".
What is your motivation for playing in the game itself?  if faced with a decision... say like... a choice:
" Do we go rescue the hostage, and try not to get him/her killed... or do we find that intel package, and skipp out and go collect our pay? "
what happens when, what you decide to do, doesn't match what your other "team mates" want to do?

Or are ya the type of person, that is comfortable... being a CORP security guard... you get a steady paycheck, and all you have to do is eliminate any threats to your facility? Fairly cut and dry... , or... is it?
What if you discover... that "secret package" in the vault, is a biological weapon that your company plans on unleashing on the population?
You know these intruders came in to steal it.... but are they going to destroy it? Or will they simply sell it to the highest bidder?  Do they plan on unleashing it, and killing off most the world themselves?

And so on, and so forth...

as you can see... there's alot more to it, than just getting a replica, and being tactically sound.

But, it's difficult to get folks to do any of this, especially when so very few seem even slightly interested of variation from a "normal" airsoft type of game, or snub their nose because they don't get to play army for a day.

I still have the basic "ideas" in mind... just have yet to be able to fulfill such a type of play or game as of yet though.

Dragon

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2011, 11:28:03 AM »
We had setup a monetary system and were able to buy weapons and tools for each chapter of the Scenerio.  You could bribe...(and that was done at the end just because I played the role of the guy you could buy off.  And I helped prompt it)  But we still have our 2 companys and security forces.  And on and on and on

Now THAT is innovation!
I love that idea!

Another hard part, is putting in those "special roles"... sometimes it'd help to have a small cast of "extra actors" at hand... ( the "person" that can be bribed , the Mr.Smith that contracts you for the "job", the insane scientist you are trying to rescue... ect, ect.  ) Those are difficult positions to "fill" , because EVERYONE wants to shoot ...

Reverandff7

• Playing smarter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2011, 01:48:33 PM »
See i like the fact of those kind of games. I really do because its different and it really shows who can get into it or not. Also you can then tell at that point who is going to make the grade and who is going to parish. I have always been a big fan of the whole one life no respawn thing. So when i host my games i try to make more games like that ... makes the games go by quicker for one.
Travis Perry
N.O.V.A. Team Leader
G&G SIG553
Custom SIG552
H&k Umerex G36CV
We G17

ShootEmUp

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2011, 06:17:47 PM »
Airsoft milsim reality T.V. show here in Ozark, Missouri hosted by So Go Airsoft! It's brilliant, how cool would that be?

Supercell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • So Go Airsoft
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2011, 06:58:44 PM »
OHHHHHHH  YEEEEAAAAAAA.

ShootEmUp

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2011, 07:08:52 PM »
I know right, we need to start that Jon, I know a few friends in the television buisness that could get us hooked up if you know what I mean...oh, what happened I was asleep and was having a really cool dream...

j man 3

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2011, 09:37:43 AM »
the opening needs to start like CSI miami!!! Jon you have to wear sunglasses and say somthing cheesy before the show starts!!!

ShootEmUp

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2011, 03:39:08 PM »
YES I HAVE IT NOW! All of the guys from So Go would have their backs together with sunglasses and a fan blowing their hair back. All of them have their arms crossed and the font will slam the screen and say "MilSim, the closest thing to reality.", and this announcer with a really cool deep voice has to narrate the whole thing. Yes, it will be epic...

Reverandff7

• Playing smarter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2011, 07:37:33 PM »
Nice visual for sure.
Travis Perry
N.O.V.A. Team Leader
G&G SIG553
Custom SIG552
H&k Umerex G36CV
We G17

ShootEmUp

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2011, 08:56:02 PM »
Definately, I'm also DEFINATELY dreaming about this tonight. I obsess easily.