Author Topic: Spring Airsoft grenade?  (Read 6253 times)

Theboy

Spring Airsoft grenade?
« on: March 22, 2012, 05:46:49 PM »
Okay. So this idea poped into my head while i was lookin at my deep fires (got 4 for 20 off scrap yard). Anyways i got the idea of a twist spring kinda like those wind up toys, but instead of jumpin around use the potential energy of the spring to propel the bbs out.
    Now i have come up with two possible ways: First one uses a pistion to build pressure then spring relese with a burst of gas, just like an airsoft gun. Now the problem with this idea is size, i could however use the laws of thermodynamics to my advantage and have an equalized pressure ststem affected by a tiny piston pressurized by a spring which in affect could alter the entire system by the spings pressure (exactly like the hydrolics in a lift, ie same prosses only smaller). but now the problem lies in how do i equalize pressure after the first use. or infact during the first use. I supose i could use a pressure of 1atm as base but that would lead to a weak discharge and require a a tiny spring with a greatter spring constant than could be uptained with steel or iron.
    My second idea is a system inwhich a spring is wound tight then released causing a spinning motion hurling the bbs. 

As i am tired of righting a giant block of letters i will leave it at this. All ideas welcome keep the hatein to a minimal and i will try to sketch up wut i picture in a few days so we can slowly evolve it into possible the next best grenade for one reason and that is it being a spring based grenade comparable to and green gas type. Ill put more on this later im just tired of tryping (I know i kinda left the twist spriing one kinda blank).

j man 3

• View Profile
Re: Spring Airsoft grenade?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 06:25:21 PM »
problems as stated would be the lack of pressure so if you wanted to propel 15 bbs with the power of a spring pistol (which it would have to be the same size because of the lack of room in a grenade) would be very weak and probably only a few bbs would even leave the grenade because the air would escape out of the easiest port, also it would be hard to get some type of timer or a shock type of system in the grenade that would be reliable

Theboy

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 07:20:51 PM »
This idea just struck me what if lets say we set 2 rare eath magnets in this system to where the poles are repelng whit one aatacched to a piston and the other a screw. as the screw part rises so will the piston part. and calculate the internal volume of the pressure tank to where theat the pistons max area the volume will be decreased by 3/5 of the original volume which would increase pressure. http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii136/demonwars08/pistion.jpg A simple little image red is the piston dark blue is the magnets and light blue is the screw. tgis is how i image the pressure tank would look the only problem is if its controlled by a sppon and pin it will go off instantly. im prolly gonna buy some plastic tubes to make a test one anyone is free to alter or create there own. just if u get urs to work make a detailed list of material and mabe and img or video. plus any errors or flaws you see feel fre to point them out.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 08:07:31 PM by Theboy »

Joe

• Plastic-Slingin' Primate
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 07:37:21 PM »
Wow, THAT was a fast response to requests for an introduction thread.

Unlocked.
Joe
SA Admin
Instigator
Honorary D9 Member
Founding Member, WECSOA*
*Wile E. Coyote School Of Airsmithing

"A man your age . . ."
--Fuzzy

"Anybody got any duct tape?  I need to Joe this gun."
--Reverendff7

Theboy

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 07:40:14 PM »
:( u locked my post XD ya i was postin a reply when urs poped up so i was like better do it :P

Joe

• Plastic-Slingin' Primate
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 07:43:40 PM »
Lol.  You're fine, it's all right.

We take introductions pretty seriously.  Helps keep out spammers.
Joe
SA Admin
Instigator
Honorary D9 Member
Founding Member, WECSOA*
*Wile E. Coyote School Of Airsmithing

"A man your age . . ."
--Fuzzy

"Anybody got any duct tape?  I need to Joe this gun."
--Reverendff7

j man 3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 08:34:58 PM »
the problem with that is that if there is to much resistance on one side then the piston will turn crooked and wont let any pressure out and rare earth magnets would be very difficult to reset without them shooting everywhere

Theboy

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 05:05:22 PM »
We wouldnt have ta worry about it shooting out because one is on a screw and the other in the  pistion. But  if it did get crookd it could b a head ache but thats why i posted it instead of kept it to ma self. We'll hammer out the bugs eventualy to a sastifactory point.

j man 3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 08:12:18 PM »
if you elongated the piston it would not be able to tilt so that would get rid of the problem with getting crooked

Theboy

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 12:33:31 AM »
ya..hmmm so just as a recap we have a rare earth magnet piston that is elongated (an oval or just a longer cylinder?), we need some math and a scale on the size we want the pressure chamber to be-- once this is done we should probably decide on the style we want the bbs to b ejected by, kinda like a deepfire/ tornado style or like the a&k grenade with the holes. Once thats done all we have laft is the all important detenator which i am still lost on i was thinking either impact of possibly remote..... I dont think we can make it a spoon and pin style but if you can figure out a way that would be great. id much rather have taht than impact or remote.

j man 3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 06:46:51 PM »
longer cylinder and I wouldnt do remote det. I cant stand electronics im all mechanical in that regard and I still dont like rare earth magnets spring would be better and more reliable

Theboy

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 12:07:04 AM »
XD man i cant believe neither of us saw this (mabe cuz im alil buzzed from a few shots). But we have a screw y do we need a spring or magnets we can torqure it with just the screw and the piston. i mean it could strip this way but its way simpler. what do u think? all we could need to do this is drill and it gives us the space previosly used by the spring to build more pressure
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 12:09:28 AM by Theboy »

j man 3

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 06:54:19 AM »
we would need a very good seal and the pressure would try to escape as soon as we tightened it down

Theboy

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 11:49:07 AM »
we could use a balbearing and attach the screw to the inside of it then the piston head wouldnt spin. but then we gotta worry oabout the threads and the piston... sounded good last night but now ii can see the flaws...

j man 3

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 03:28:14 PM »
ball bearing is to unrealistic and difficult to get to work right