Author Topic: Eastwind Training Weekend  (Read 6946 times)

bgallion

Eastwind Training Weekend
« on: December 05, 2011, 09:42:20 PM »
This was a Patrolling and Fieldcraft training event to prepare guys for Operation Eastwind.  Unfortunately, the only people who were able to make it were all essentially cadre.  The event was to "practice" patrolling techniques and sustainment operations in the field during cold weather.

We build a Von Reck shelter system complete with fire pit.  At night, this system actually conceals the light from the fire very well. Our patrol would have walked right by the shelter if I did not point out the small light signature I received using the PVS - 5 night vision device issued to our patrol.  The other guys didn't notice the light from the shelter until we were about 15-20 meters away from it.  And we KNEW where it was and were looking specifically for it.  I have to say, I was very impressed with the system.  Below are some pictures with captions from the weekend.

Enjoy.

Here we have the Von Reck shelter system in its final stages of set up.

Another angle from further away.  And the dirt from the fire pit away from the shelter.  We left it in a pile so that we can use it to fill in the pit after we depart from the area.

Over head view of the Von Reck shelter system.  Complete with a fire pit in the center.

In utilizing this shelter system, you designate only one corner for the doorway.  

A closer view into the doorway of the Shelter.  Here Jackson is sending traffic back to Swayze letting him know our shelter is complete.  Martin is working on his personal fire trench so that he can heat up one of his drink mixes.

Warnick proving a point about sustainability using only the Von Reck shelter, a poncho liner, and poncho.

Our fire pit come Sunday morning.  Fire pit dimensions apx. 12" deep, 18" x 24" wide.

Cooking our breakfast Sunday morning.  Per our orders from the tasking list, every individual was to eat all their meals hot.  Here you can see all of us cooking our meals in our canteen cups.  Off the corners of the fire pit, we dug small "slits" / trenches in which we burn small sticks in order to heat the contents of our canteen cups.  This method discharges very little smoke and the fire is concealed inside the trench.

Cooking breakfast via the method described above.

Side view of what's actually going on down there.  You can see the fire burning strong, yet in the previous photo all can you see is a small amount of smoke being discharged.  

After packing up to head back, we took some additional time to naturalize the area of we set up our Von Reck shelter.  Remember, you want to leave as small a foot print as possible on the land.  Especially if you are operating behind enemy lines.  As you can see here, the only evidence readily visible that anyone was there is the fact that the grass is laying down.  

Yep, you guessed it.  That is our fire pit after we filled it and naturalized the top of it.  Almost impossible to tell it was a fire pit... unless you inspect it with a magnify glass.

I hope you enjoyed the photos.  Feel free to ask any questions you may have about the training weekend or Eastwind in general.

bgallion

Re: Eastwind Training Weekend
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 09:46:42 PM »
Notice the Orange Vis-Panel on the back of the rucksack.  We had these because this took place right in the middle of hunting season this year.

Reverandff7

• Playing smarter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 01:59:03 PM »
thats pretty cool man i like it. I dont know if would bring all that to an OP unless it was a crazy milsim or something, but i have never gone to one of those.
Travis Perry
N.O.V.A. Team Leader
G&G SIG553
Custom SIG552
H&k Umerex G36CV
We G17
CYMA 030(with highcap mag)

Network Of Violent Activities - Thats what we are and what we do.

Renagade

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 02:39:40 PM »
GOOD IDEA for over night event for OPERATION BLACK CLOUD!!!!!!!
For the players who are not ******** it to a hotel for a nap and miss out on NIGHT OPS!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 07:00:09 PM by Supercell »

Reverandff7

• Playing smarter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 04:23:19 PM »
Well hopefully it is going to be better then the last time we had night ops lol. That was amazingly funny ren... plus the wind didnt help either. Hopefullly it wont be as windy as it was last time.
Travis Perry
N.O.V.A. Team Leader
G&G SIG553
Custom SIG552
H&k Umerex G36CV
We G17
CYMA 030(with highcap mag)

Network Of Violent Activities - Thats what we are and what we do.

ShootEmUp

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 06:13:33 PM »
GOOD IDEA for over night event for OPERATION BLACK CLOUD!!!!!!!
For the players who are not (Changed when I first saw it.  Sorry guys (JON))  it to a hotel for a nap and miss out on NIGHT OPS!

Whoa easy there pal, kids use this site.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 07:01:02 PM by Supercell »

bgallion

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 08:51:59 PM »
It is a very useful shelter system for cold weather.  However, like you said... it is not something you would bring to an airsoft game.  In fact, we probably won't even use this at Eastwind.  It just doesn't get cold enough.  Nonetheless, it is still a good thing to know about in case you ever have to use it.

Renagade

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 08:08:29 AM »
I do apoligize!

ShootEmUp

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 05:08:26 PM »
No problem man just putting that out there. Just save for the buddies, LOL.

Dragon

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 06:09:39 PM »
BG, do you have any clue as to where to get any of those?

Very MilSim... nice little set up and keep more of this coming please.

bgallion

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 09:46:09 PM »
BG, do you have any clue as to where to get any of those?

Very MilSim... nice little set up and keep more of this coming please.

Are you asking about a Von Reck shelter?  Or all the excess gear in the photos?

The Von Reck is made up of two shelter-halves.  I got mine from someone in the EW community for really cheap.  They have them at some surplus stores as well.  You best bet is to go onto the EW forums and check their "NATO Supply" section and look for anything about shelter-halves.  I'm planning on setting up a partial Von Reck (more of just a screen) and building a fire... If Cody is ok with it.

I can walk you through the process if you wish at the training event this weekend.  I'm waiting to hear from Josh to see if he is going to be able to attend.  Then I will have two shelter halves that we can use and I can possible create a small system that we can use to warm up in case someone gets too cold during down time.

ShootEmUp

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 09:52:31 PM »
That shelter was really nice, I would just be afraid I'd catch it on fire.

bgallion

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 10:29:43 PM »
That's why there is a fire "PIT". You don't let the fire out of the pit.  And you always have someone who is on "fire watch". More so to make sure it doesn't burn out while everyone is asleep than to make sure it doesn't burn down the shelter.  If you don't feel comfortable enough with the fire... dig a deeper pit!  :)

ShootEmUp

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 10:38:56 PM »
Trust me, I've dug my fair share of fire PITS. I'm just always afraid wind will catch the flame and send our tent alight.

bgallion

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 10:42:54 PM »
Ah, understandable.  We have the canvas staked down with 16 stakes.  And guidelines also pulled taught.  We experienced some pretty strong wind gusts that night (up to 20 mph according to the weather report), however, the tent held its own.  We also positioned it within a patch of trees, mainly for concealment but that also helped block the wind some.