Author Topic: Don't forget the soap!  (Read 4588 times)

porkchop

• View Profile
Don't forget the soap!
« on: August 12, 2011, 11:10:05 AM »
Pre-battle checklist.
Extra ammo: check!
Battery charged: check!
Waiver on file: check!
Clean laundry:?
Just a reminder that a vigorous sport makes you sweat, and sweat well... smells like sweat. I know that I don't have to say this for everybody, but if you're new to the game keep in mind that close quarters means exactly that. It's essential that you arrive clean and odor free. This means not just your body and clothes, but all of your tactical gear as well. During warm weather months vests and plate carriers need to be cleaned and rinsed after each use. Otherwise, the arena quickly will start to smell like a locker room. I mean c'mon, you don't want your enemy to be able to find you in the dark, do 'ya? I'm not saying you should come smellin' like a rose, just don't forget that it's ok to use Right Guard under your left arm too.
"Phase plasma rifle, in a 40 watt range......"

Joe

• Plastic-Slingin' Primate
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Don't forget the soap!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 12:41:19 PM »
EXCELLENT!

A good reminder to all.  Especially Yours Truly, who keeps meaning to wash his gear but never quite gets around to it.

Washing camo?  I was taught to use cold water, about half or less of the normal amount of soap, turn clothing inside out and air dry only.  This helps camo pattern stay intact.

Anyone else got thoughts, tips or suggestions?
Joe
SA Admin
Instigator
Honorary D9 Member
Founding Member, WECSOA*
*Wile E. Coyote School Of Airsmithing

"A man your age . . ."
--Fuzzy

"Anybody got any duct tape?  I need to Joe this gun."
--Reverendff7

j man 3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 09:28:07 PM »
how exactly dose one wash a plate carrier? or the molle pouches?

Pup

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 10:13:55 PM »
I can't imagine your pouches getting too bad.

However, I'd say wiping the insides of your plate carrier/vest down with soap and hot water would be a nice idea.

-Pup

porkchop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 08:51:54 AM »
Pup's got the right idea. You only need to wash the inside of your vest/carrier, unless it's completely saturated with sweat. With temp's ligering in the 100's the way they do here, that very well may be the case. A little detergent and a scrub brush is all it takes, then rinse and hang it out to dry. Otherwise more and more bacteria starts to build up, and the next thing you know your whole loadout smells like an old shoe. Just remember once it's clean make sure all your pouches are completely dry before putting your mags back in, so there's no chance of rust. Most gear I've seen has a high amount of poly in the fabric anyhow, so it's easy to clean and dries fast.

j man 3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 09:29:05 AM »
ok cool thanks!

Joe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 08:56:38 PM »
Thank you for this post.  I finally broke down and washed my rigs.  Wow, I did not realize how much grime and dirt had gotten onto/into my rigs.  The water was a light, but clear brown by the time I was done. 

Don't forget, you can wash out your masks as well.  Take out the lenses and wash the entire mask--face, strap and foam with warm water and a little bit of Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo.  Rinse and hang to dry.  This will keep your foam fresh, make it like new and lengthen its life.  I've got paintball masks I've been using for years.  This washing has helped them last that long.

Mesh goggles?  You can still wash the foam and strap.  You just have to be a little more careful around the mesh.
Joe
SA Admin
Instigator
Honorary D9 Member
Founding Member, WECSOA*

"A man your age . . ."
--Fuzzy

--Reverendff7

Alpha42

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 09:30:33 PM »
If there is dirt on the outside of your nylon (plate carriers, pouches, and the like) bgallion taught me to use a scrub brush and just brush all of the dirt out.  That's what I do on my Bijan's knee pads after every game and all of the dirt come right out.

Renagade

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 02:12:19 PM »
What about a tactical vest?

You cant really through it in the washer!
It just stinks more than dirty, LOL , Feel into a bog while back.

Joe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 10:51:20 PM »
Renegade,

I wash my gear in a bathtub:

1.  Start filling the tub with warm water;

2.  Add a LITTLE bit of liquid detergent or even baby shampoo;

3.  Add vest(s), rig(s), pads and whatever else you want to wash.  Open pockets, pouches and such;

4.  Move everything in the water, back and forth.  Be sure to move things around in the tub so everything gets swished around in the soapy water;

5.  Place each item under the running faucet so it gets rinsed with clean water;

6.  Hang to dry.  Most gear is synthetic so it should dry quickly.  Directing airflow (fan or breeze) and/or mild heat (sunshine) will shorten drying time;

7.  Be sure to clean out the tub when you are finished!  The married or cohabitating guys know I'm not kidding.  Single guys, trust me on this one.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:58:08 PM by Joe »
Joe
SA Admin
Instigator
Honorary D9 Member
Founding Member, WECSOA*

"A man your age . . ."
--Fuzzy

--Reverendff7

Pup

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 09:14:50 PM »
Great idea with the bathtub, Joe.

Another item that could use a good cleansing is helmet pads. Not sure if anyone is running replica helmets with padding on the inside, but the foam can soak up a lot of sweat and it really has no where else to go. I'm sure you can imagine how gross it can get especially in the summer months.

Gloves are another item. I'd say wash them with the same rules as your cammies.

-Pup

porkchop

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 10:12:27 AM »
This was also a reason I picked a Save Phace tactical mask. They have what they call a R.W.I. foam, (Removable,Wasshable,Interchangable). The foam on my paintball mask starts to break down the more you wash it. The stuff I got now is a lot better made. Well guys, I think we pretty well covered everything. Anythiny else, your mama should've already taught ya'. Remember, "Army Strong" has more than one meaning.

Shaggy

• View Profile
    • SO GO AIRSOFT
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 05:02:09 PM »
Also don't forget your skivvies! Figured people might forget to wash those too! hahahaha

~Shaggy
“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.” -Sun Tzu

Joe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 09:16:52 AM »
Also don't forget your skivvies! Figured people might forget to wash those too! hahahaha

~Shaggy

Figures.  Only a jarhead would need a reminder to wash his underwear.

Shaggy, we're now even for this:

Joe Joe + Age < Shaggy

;D

Haha Sorry Joe I had to do it!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:19:37 AM by Joe »
Joe
SA Admin
Instigator
Honorary D9 Member
Founding Member, WECSOA*

"A man your age . . ."
--Fuzzy

--Reverendff7

Boba Fett

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 02:09:32 PM »
I may sound like an idiot but I'm too lazy to google. lol how should I clean my lambskin leather gloves?