Author Topic: Another scope bites the dust!  (Read 1711 times)

porkchop

• View Profile
Another scope bites the dust!
« on: August 28, 2011, 12:23:28 PM »
This is a warning to players who just got new optics for their guns. It will get shot at! A scope lense might stand a chance of surviving a long distance hit in a field game, but in the cqc forget it. One of the players at last night's event learned this the hard way when his brand new reflex sight was totalled by a single hit. All he could do was shrug and say "There goes $80". If you want to use your red dot, you've gotta use a shield. There are a couple of flip-up types available, as well as a slide-in type for EOTECH sights, or you can find scope covers for hunting rifles that can be fitted on depending on what type of scope you have. I've also seen some players use mesh as well. Whatever works, just find it. Otherwise, your scope will have the life expectancy of a house fly. 
"Phase plasma rifle, in a 40 watt range......"

det. mcclane

Re: Another scope bites the dust!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 12:44:06 PM »
Seriously, word to that. I keep thinking I want to get a low-profile reflex sight for my MP5 and then I remember: "Oh wait, it's CQB. Probably gonna get blasted, lol"

Joe

• Plastic-Slingin' Primate
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 04:06:41 PM »
I've made several lens covers for my optics.  You can get a small sheet of Lexan at Lowe's or Home Depot.  The cost is less than $ 10.00.  One sheet will make many, many covers.

Trace the optic front onto the paper of the Lexan.  Then you cut out the shape--a dremel works just fine.  

Peel off the paper on either side of the Lexan and put it in front of your optic's lens.  

Cover it with a traditional flip-up lens cap cover and you're good to go.  

If appearances are not a concern to you then you can tape the flip-up lens cover to the optic for additional security.

Instead of that, or if you need to shim the flip-up lens cover, then you run a layer of tape around the outer edge of the Lexan and the optic.  This shims the cap and secures the Lexan cap to the optic.

P.S.  I've been meaning to post a tutorial in the "Do It Yourself" section.  Ironically, my lack of technical skill has prevented me from doing so.
Joe
SA Admin
Instigator
Honorary D9 Member
Founding Member, WECSOA*
*Wile E. Coyote School Of Airsmithing

"A man your age . . ."
--Fuzzy

"Anybody got any duct tape?  I need to Joe this gun."
--Reverendff7

Boba Fett

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 02:02:19 PM »
I never put a cover on the reflex sight I used to have. I didn't worry about and apparently I got really lucky! haha

I did pretty much what Joe described to my combat cameras though. They cost more than the NCstar red dot I had.