Author Topic: Kryptek Camouflage  (Read 8130 times)

MickeyD

• View Profile
Kryptek Camouflage
« on: September 02, 2013, 09:58:19 PM »
Hey guys Mickey with SoGo Airsoft here. I noticed at the monthly event Saturday that some players had switched over their camo to the new Kryptek Mandrake pattern. It all seemed to come out of nowhere, at first being a vague camo pattern that many airsofter's blew off as being "hunting camo" and now it has flooded the majority of airsoft forums and websites. Even Condor Outdoor is testing the waters with their new tactical hats (available from SoGo Airsoft) in the Mandrake and Highlander patterns. It is rumored that if these hats sell well enough then Condor will manufacture an entire line-up of Kryptek products including vests, pouches backpacks, etc... But, that is to be determined.

But what makes Kryptek so special?
The Kryptek line-up has gained an exponential increase in popularity since its release in 2012. With several different color scheme options it has a pattern for almost any environment. Another key to it's success is the "3D effect" it provides. This is possible through two separate layers of camo; a faded array of indistinct blotches in the background and a layer of more distinct shapes in the front. This combination of modularity to fit any environment and cutting-edge techniques to fool the human eye landed Kryptek a spot among the top 4 camo patterns to be considered for the new Army-Issue combat camouflage.

A Pattern for Everyone?

Mandrake

With color schemes similar to woodland, it should provide decent cover in transitional environments and completely vanish among heavy brush. I already have on order a pair of pants and a F.A.S.T. helmet cover in this color scheme. Should do me well at any MilSim events where I'm on the Green side, or if i just want to look cool in the CQB.

Highlander

Here you go, Multicam fans! Kryptek's own transitional camo with a little bit of everything to suit most environments.

Typhon

A very dark color scheme designed to disappear into the shadows...

Nomad

Kryptek's desert camo, very useful in ummm... the desert?

Raid

An urban-esque color scheme similar to that found on older urban camouflages.

Yeti

You guessed it, they even have an arctic camo! I considered picking up a set of these purely for kicks to use in the CQB, then realized that they probably won't make any sets that are meant to keep you cool anytime soon...

Where can I get it?
Currently there are two popular manufacturers that are selling the uniform itself (Combat shirt/Jacket, Trousers, etc...). The original Vertx design is available for a little over $200 for the trousers and jacket (Not sure of any plans for a combat shirt yet).

The other often-mentioned manufacturer is UR Tactical who make a full array of Kryptek clothing including: trousers that resemble Generation 3 Crye, a combat shirt (A.K.A. UR Tactical Improved Direct Action Shirt), tactical hats, helmet covers, and even tactical cargo shorts (A.K.A. OPS Nimble trousers)! The UR Tactical line-up is a bit pricier at around $150 for the pants and $100 for the combat shirt, but the quality of the material will reflect the price.

So what are your thoughts on this camo? Is this the next big thing or will it just be another trial and error like the despised ACU? Let me know what you think, especially if you own the camo already.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:03:21 AM by MickeyD »
Magpul EVERYTHING

det. mcclane

Re: Kryptek Camouflage
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 10:27:04 PM »
Well, it's already better than ACU by the fact that it actually blends in.  :)   Cheap shot, I know.  I'd love to see it out on the field, see how well it works. The only problem I can see with it is the same one I see now with Multicam and some of the other blends like ATACS: It makes team identification nigh on impossible. I truly hope this is not the case, but that is my personal opinion.

It's probably gonna be the next big thing, so I should probably just embrace it but for now I think I'll stick to my woodland and my Vietnam Tiger stripe just to stay classic.  ;D

MickeyD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 10:29:24 PM »
Can't beat a classic haha. And my hopes are that it will blend in so well that even your own team can't find you... that or just bet on the chance that both teams will recognize the guy running around in tactical shorts! LOL
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:34:57 PM by MickeyD »
Magpul EVERYTHING

Metal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:54:04 PM »
I was all worked up when I saw the gen 3 versions from UR Tac as well....until I saw the price. You can get the REAL DEAL stuff made here in the USofA for WAY less! The combat shirt is a great idea though. The Vertex pants are tough mothers, but so are the 'gunfighter' shirts and therefore they are quite warm when warn under a PC. I have some of the Typhon and it beats the hell out of plain black clothes/gear! AMS is now allowing both Mandrake(green) and Nomad(tan) as standard uniforms unless otherwise specified. Unofficially, I have been given the green light to wear pieces of my Typhon at OP Rebel Yell 2, so we'll see how that goes. I'm not much on Highlander or Nomad for this are. Highlander has way too many purples and just odd colors. You would think it would be basically a Multicam wannabe, but it falls very short of that. Mandrake is pretty darn good for this area. Not the best, but far from the worst. I will definitely get a full uniform of the Madrake, but I refuse to be a fanboy and buy a bunch of gear in it like other members of Aesir Strategic have. I have a lot of MultiCam gear and that over the top of a different camo aids in breaking up your outline even better which is all camo does anyway.

Sundown

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 12:14:04 AM »
It is definitely a neat looking camo, that would look neat on just a plain shirt that you could wear around. As far a wearing it as a camo I'll just have to wait and see how it performs on the battlefield before I think about getting a set. Already have good Multicam setup anyways but I guess time will tell, and from the looks of things I guess we the admins will have to talk about adding it to the color patterns for the next SA games in the future since I already see several of our member wearing it at Sogo Airsoft.

MickeyD

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 12:15:46 AM »
I agree with avoiding the fanboy crap, there is no need to buy a Kryptek vest/Chest rig when you can just have one coyote vest/chest rig that will go well with both green and tan-based camos (Like the Marines do with  Woodland and Desert MARPAT). Im gonna put my Pantac multicam chest rig up for sale and probably get a coyote chest rig to go with both my MC and Mandrake.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:40:06 AM by MickeyD »
Magpul EVERYTHING

Jbagel21

• View Profile
    • Springfield Instigator
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 08:06:45 AM »
Mandrake is one of the best camos I have used in the woods yet, but then again camo effectiveness depends on your ability to move and use the environment. How long it lasts is going to be determined by who picks it up though, and the royalty cost that Kryptek wants to charge the military does not look promising.
"A professional makes his work play, and his play practice."

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else thereafter."  Ernest Hemingway

Boba Fett

• 日本バンザイ
    • View Profile
    • CAMO Airsoft Team Forum
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 02:37:20 PM »
Looks like something out of Black Ops II (I'm not a COD fanboy but truth be told a lot of the futuristic stuff was pretty accurate). I might have to pick up some Typhon down the road.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading."

Jbagel21

• View Profile
    • Springfield Instigator
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 05:10:03 PM »
It was in Black Ops, thanks to the producers hearing about it being upselected in the Army camo trials.

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else thereafter."  Ernest Hemingway

Jbagel21

• View Profile
    • Springfield Instigator
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 03:20:18 PM »
Our group at Rebel Yell can now attest to the effectiveness of Mandrake, by far one of the best patterns I have seen now. As soon as we get our pics together I will try to put one up.

Joe

• Plastic-Slingin' Primate
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 03:54:02 PM »
Looks like something out of Black Ops II (I'm not a COD fanboy but truth be told a lot of the futuristic stuff was pretty accurate). I might have to pick up some Typhon down the road.

I saw a player with a Typhon pattern hat at Rebel Yell 2.  It looked good.
Joe
SA Admin
Instigator
Honorary D9 Member
Founding Member, WECSOA*
*Wile E. Coyote School Of Airsmithing

"A man your age . . ."
--Fuzzy

"Anybody got any duct tape?  I need to Joe this gun."
--Reverendff7

MickeyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 05:27:48 PM »
Got in my UR-Tactical trousers and helmet cover in Mandrake. Good quality material, well worth the price in my opinion. The knee pads fit very snug  in the provided spaces and can be somewhat difficult to install but once they're in they won't be coming out any time soon. The pattern is identical to the Vertx pattern as far as I can tell. My only complaint is that the helmet cover does not have mesh or holes like other helmet covers to allow air flow through the holes on the helmet, so it may get a little toasty up top. Other than that, I'm very pleased and will be buying the combat shirt once it's back in stock.
Magpul EVERYTHING

Jbagel21

• View Profile
    • Springfield Instigator
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 08:31:32 PM »
Here it is at Op Rebel Yell:

Joe

• Plastic-Slingin' Primate
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 09:24:30 PM »
That fat, balding middle-aged man kneeling needs to take better care of himself--he looks terrible.
Joe
SA Admin
Instigator
Honorary D9 Member
Founding Member, WECSOA*
*Wile E. Coyote School Of Airsmithing

"A man your age . . ."
--Fuzzy

"Anybody got any duct tape?  I need to Joe this gun."
--Reverendff7

Boba Fett

• 日本バンザイ
    • View Profile
    • CAMO Airsoft Team Forum
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 12:34:45 AM »
Looks pretty BA. I haven't seen many pics of it fielded and I must say I am very impressed!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading."