Author Topic: What are your limits?....  (Read 1950 times)

Fenix031882

• View Profile
What are your limits?....
« on: May 04, 2013, 11:55:03 AM »
I recently have turned down the opportunity to play twice with some local players.  Now I usually jump at any chance to play but let me give you the scenarios and please tell me if you would have played.

#1    I was invited to play in a night game on an untested and unplayed field (as in none of the people going had ever been on this piece of property).  I declined because I only see chances for injury and breaking something, was I too cautious?

#2    I turned down an opportunity to play when it was raining and nasty outside.  They tried to convince me that it makes people better players to play in the elements because it makes you somehow "more aware" of what you're doing.  I declined because, again, increased injury factors and frankly I just don't want to tear up my stuff (too cautious?).

I would like to get you guys input on this, should I "man up" and start playing in dark and in the rain, or do you feel the same way?
Its always better to be a first rate version of yourself than a second rate version of someone else.

Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is unknown, today is a gift, thats why they call it the present.

KWA Magpul ERG
G&G Scar L
JG M4A1 enhanced
WE M9 Marine edition
Echo 1 P90
Tri shot Shotgun
G&G MP5

Metal

• View Profile
Re: What are your limits?....
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 12:58:07 PM »
I've turned down several night games in the past and more than likely will continue to do so in the future. Not saying they aren't fun. With the RIGHT PLAYERS night OPs are a freakin blast! Delta 9 attended a partial night OP at a well established field and the outcome was still no bueno. You had WAY too many new players with no common sense and self control. The were blasting 100rds non-stop at anything they heard regardless of engagement distances and before checking to see if they were friendlies. At one point, there was one kid that I could hear getting shot easily 1000k+ times by a group of around 10+ players. The kid was screaming 'HIT! HIT! HIT! AAAHHH! OH MY GOD, HHIIIITT!!!', but with everyone shooting so much no one could hear him. I wouldn't blame that kid for never wanting to ever set foot on a field again. On the other hand, when you have a well controler environment and a higher caliber of player, like at SoGo or the MACC, I'd go back to a night OP to either one of those places anytime.

The weather thing is total BS. Don't get me wrong, I've played in my fair share of crappy weather, and NEVER was I thinking to myself that it was making me better. I can also tell you and anyone else that is leary about playing in rain that 99.9% of the time you won't wave any issues with you gun due to the weather. I know some people like to act all macho like they have something to prove, but if it's weather like we had hear in Neosho yesterday, ~40* soaked from snow and and super cold breezy rain, I'd probably opt out too. Again though, get the right guys with the right clothing (thermals and rain gear) and it could be fun but not anymore so than when it's nice out.

The whole point I'm driving at for both topics is that YOU need to have fun. If you do any think you're gonna have fun, then by all means don't go! Sometimes just thinking you won't have fun can ruin your mood at a game and therefore spoil your own fun. Just try to get from airsoft or MilSim what YOU want to get from it.

Fenix031882

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 01:19:18 PM »
I have always wanted to play in a well thought out and safe night OP (indoors at SOGO would be AWESOME), but something about running around at night in an unsecured chunk of woods just doesn't appeal to...
Its always better to be a first rate version of yourself than a second rate version of someone else.

Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is unknown, today is a gift, thats why they call it the present.

KWA Magpul ERG
G&G Scar L
JG M4A1 enhanced
WE M9 Marine edition
Echo 1 P90
Tri shot Shotgun
G&G MP5

det. mcclane

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 01:49:49 PM »
What metal said! No, seriously. He hit the nail right on the head. I've played night games before and they can be really fun, but with untested players and a field no one has played in, that's asking for trouble.

I'm pretty much a fair weather player. I can't afford a lot of new gear or problems with my guns, so I tend to baby them and keep them out of the elements. Plus, inclement weather can be a real drag when you get down to it. It can take a lot out of ya, so that's why I tend to stick to fairer days for play. I had thought about going out to a field in St. Louis today to play, but with the weather and player availability, it just wasn't gonna work. 

Again, airsoft should be fun. Sure, sometimes you can push your limits and really enjoy the game, but sometimes it is better to hang back and not go too crazy. I wouldn't play a night game without knowing the players well and the terrain.   

Supercell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • So Go Airsoft
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 02:51:39 PM »
I have to agree with Metal.  I think you did the right thing.
As for the night op at So Go.  I am working on one now.  Trying to wait on a couple of things.  But hopefully soon.

Jon
So Go Airsoft