Author Topic: Daniel Defense MFR (Modular Float Rail) by Madbull  (Read 3844 times)

MickeyD

• View Profile
Daniel Defense MFR (Modular Float Rail) by Madbull
« on: September 12, 2013, 10:53:41 PM »
     Hey guys Mickey with SoGo Airsoft here. Today I picked up a new rail system to complete a build I've been working on, the Daniel Defense MFR. For those of you not familiar with modular rail systems, they typically allow the user to move included small rail segments almost anywhere on the RIS, leaving the rest of the piece smooth. This negates the need for rail covers and leaves the weapon slimmer (and depending on what rail system you choose, more lightweight). There are a few different options for a modular RIS on the market right now, the most popular being the Troy/VTac models. I've had good luck with these products in the past, but since Daniel Defense is a favorite RS company of mine, and the MFR is a little newer to the market, I decided to give it a go.

To start off, the MFR is available in 7'', 9'', and 12'' in both Black and Dark Earth. I chose to purchase a 12'' in DE to match the rest of my tan furniture. Now, fair warning, the DE by Daniel Defense is a shade of bronze rather than an actual tan. Personally, I like the look but if this isn't your thing then the Troy or VTac DE is much closer to tan. Either way, the RIS will be OEM'd by Madbull so quality won't be an issue (either one will be CNC'd aluminum with a flawless finish, typical for Madbull). Next off, I chose the 12'' because as many of you know I am 6'7'' and have very long arms (I also like the extra rail space and needed it for my build).

As far as installation goes, the MFR is by far the easiest and one of the most sturdy rail systems I have ever mounted. Out of the package it comes pre-assembled with one part of the two-piece barrel nut already installed, meaning that you simply have to screw on the remaining piece of the barrel nut, slide on the RIS and tighten four grub screws. Easy as that. The only problem I encountered was the inability to fit an imitation gas tube, but no biggie. Next I had to mount the included rail segments. The hardest part was deciding where I wanted them, as installation was a breeze. Simply screw the mounting brackets partially onto the rail segments you wish to use, slide them into the desired area and tighten them the rest of the way. No need to remove the RIS to mount/move rail segments like other modular rail systems. And not only can you mount the rail segments on the bottom and sides, but at angles in between as well! I decided to mount my SureFire M93 at an angle to make the weapon as low-profile as possible. It also worked out to where I could grip my Magpul AFG from either side without the light getting in the way.

This product is not without a couple of flaws though, so here goes: First off, there is no way to mount a gas tube without modification and tightening the screws on the gas block was a real pain. Not really necessary parts for an airsoft gun, but still a pain nonetheless. Next off, the top rail does not sit flush on my KWA LM4. It's not a huge difference in height, but just enough so that I cannot mount anything where the stock top rail and the monolithic top rail on the MFR meet. I've been told that on many airsoft guns the top rail will be perfectly flush, and I believe it as I've had this issue with my LM4 before.

If you are not sure if the rail will fit your rifle or not, then you can always go for the Socom Gear Daniel Defense MFR AEG. It features full metal construction externally, Daniel Defense trades on the receiver and RIS and VFC internals coupled with a Madbull tightbore so it's bound to be a great gun. Whether you want the Socom Gear or just the RIS, either can be special ordered through SoGo Airsoft. The RIS will run you about $130 and the entire DD gun goes for about $320. If you're looking to make your gun stand out, a modular RIS is definitely the way to go!

Below I have posted pics of my custom build and of other modular rail systems, all manufactured by Madbull Airsoft. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go fondle my rifle.

Daniel Defense MFR

My Custom Build:

Build List: KWA LM4C
Magpul ACS Stock W/extended buttpad
Magpul MIAD Grip
Magpul ASAP Sling Mount
Magpul Front and Rear MBUS
Magpul Ambi Selector Switch
Magpul AFG2
Magpul Ladder Rail Cover
Magpul 5.56 Assist
Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard
Madbull Daniel Defense MFR 12 DE
Madbull Daniel Defense Low Profile Gas Block
Socom Gear Noveske KX3 Sound Amplifier
SureFire M93 Flashlight
(Unknown Brand) Replica AimPoint T-1 w/ riser mount
Echo 1 2'' Outer Barrel Extension

VTac RIS (Top)
Troy TRX RIS (Bottom)
Both available in 7'', 9'', 11'', and 13'' (9 inch shown)

Noveske NSR Keymod (Got a chance to hold one of these at a gun store, VERY light and VERY slim, 13.5'' model shown, also avaiable in 7'', 9'' and 11'')

Socom Gear Daniel Defense MFR 12'' AEG (Also available with 7'' and 9'' RIS)

« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 10:51:23 AM by MickeyD »
Magpul EVERYTHING

Jbagel21

• View Profile
    • Springfield Instigator
Re: Daniel Defense MFR (Modular Float Rail) by Madbull
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 07:50:18 AM »
Nice review, that's a great looking rail system.
"A professional makes his work play, and his play practice."

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else thereafter."  Ernest Hemingway

MickeyD

• View Profile
Re: Daniel Defense MFR (Modular Float Rail) by Madbull
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 09:55:36 AM »
Thanks man. Everyone knows I like being different with my guns and I have yet to see someone else run any kind of modular RIS. But who knows, maybe it'll pick up
Magpul EVERYTHING