Author Topic: My AK has a Mini-Me!  (Read 4652 times)

MickeyD

• View Profile
My AK has a Mini-Me!
« on: October 02, 2013, 03:48:30 PM »
     Hey guys, Mickey with SoGo Airsoft here. As many of you know, I purchased a G&P AK105 a while back (my review on this AEG can be found in the Reviews section). I'm not usually a fan of AK's and normally prefer a more modernized platform, but contractor-style AK's have impressed me to the point where they are just as useable to me as any M4/M16. Why? Modularity. With a buffer-tube and RIS incorporated, this weapon system is more modular (in other words, more customizable ;D) than ever before.
     After building my AK to perform well outdoors, I found myself wishing I could bring this type of gun to the CQB as well. After a few quick google searches I stumbled upon the Echo 1 AK BOLT AEG. With a AK74u length barrel, a shortened contractor RIS and buffer tube mount, I knew that I had found my next big purchase. The gun was literally a shortened version of my AK105 and thus allowed me to share magazines between the two. The only differences between the two other than the length were very minor, such as the battery compartment. On my G&P the battery is stored in the buffer tube leaving room for only a Lipo, while on the Echo 1 the compartment runs the length of the gun up top, leaving room for up to a 10.8V stick type battery. Also the selector switch is much more solid on the Echo 1, which surprised me as I never would have thought that a G&P would be beaten out on external quality.
     Included with the BOLT is a battery, charger and two 600 Round Hi-Cap Magazines. So far it has taken well to upgrades, but I have yet to do anything with the actual gearbox itself. My only upgrades other than the tan accessories are a tightbore barrel and a high speed motor (which brought the ROF to well above 20 BB's per second on a 9.6!). Eventually I may try a high-speed gearset and a better piston, but for now I am enjoying my AK, something I never thought I would say!

Top: G&P AK105
Bottom: Echo 1 AK BOLT
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 03:52:16 PM by MickeyD »
Magpul EVERYTHING

Joe

• Plastic-Slingin' Primate
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: My AK has a Mini-Me!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 04:15:40 PM »
Mickey,

As a long-time airsoft AK fan, I'm glad to hear you recognize the AK's value.   I cannot speak to the real steel models but the AK hop up unit has, to me, proven its superiority to the M4/M16 hop up unit. 

From my limited experiences with it, the G & P has never failed to underwhelm me.  "Uniformly disappointing" is the conclusion I have come to after almost six years of airsoft experience.

By contrast, Echo 1 has always impressed me.  I recommend them almost without reservation.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 04:18:13 PM by Joe »
Joe
SA Admin
Instigator
Honorary D9 Member
Founding Member, WECSOA*
*Wile E. Coyote School Of Airsmithing

"A man your age . . ."
--Fuzzy

"Anybody got any duct tape?  I need to Joe this gun."
--Reverendff7

MickeyD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 05:08:52 PM »
I wouldn't call myself a G&P fanboy by any means, but their quality control is top-notch from what I've seen and heard. That paired with quality comparable to CA (just in my opinion) I tend to think of them as a great upgrade gun. As for what you said about Echo 1, their Red Star series has been amazing externally and internally, no arguments there.
Magpul EVERYTHING

Metal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 07:06:53 PM »
I've been a huge AK fan for years now. Even have a RS one. I usually build my own custom guns of any platform from the ground up but if I had to start over I would definitely get an Echo1 Bolt. Nasty from Delta 9/Aesir Strategic has one that he loves. Great solid gun at a more than reasonable price. That's a nice pair you got there, man!

Tang

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 09:25:04 PM »
Your killing me with the collapsible stock on AKs.
Tango

Metal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 12:11:10 AM »
It's the refinement of the battle axe that is the AK platform. Say what you will about it's appearance, but down deep it's still the same beast.

Reverandff7

• Playing smarter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 03:05:31 PM »
I live it man... great job!
Travis Perry
N.O.V.A. Team Leader
G&G SIG553
Custom SIG552
H&k Umerex G36CV
We G17
CYMA 030(with highcap mag)

Network Of Violent Activities - Thats what we are and what we do.

MickeyD

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 05:03:26 PM »
Thanks man, I'm itching to run the AK105 at op full plate!
Magpul EVERYTHING

Reverandff7

• Playing smarter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 01:31:06 PM »
Can not wait to see it
Travis Perry
N.O.V.A. Team Leader
G&G SIG553
Custom SIG552
H&k Umerex G36CV
We G17
CYMA 030(with highcap mag)

Network Of Violent Activities - Thats what we are and what we do.

Joe

• Plastic-Slingin' Primate
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 03:09:14 PM »
My first post wasn't clear.  I wasn't referring to the G&P AK, I meant G&P products in general.
Joe
SA Admin
Instigator
Honorary D9 Member
Founding Member, WECSOA*
*Wile E. Coyote School Of Airsmithing

"A man your age . . ."
--Fuzzy

"Anybody got any duct tape?  I need to Joe this gun."
--Reverendff7

MickeyD

• View Profile