Author Topic: Custom Shottys  (Read 1589 times)

BlackJack

• View Profile
Custom Shottys
« on: October 25, 2013, 11:29:43 AM »
Hey all! So I just recently decided to get back into airsoft.
Small scale but back in nonetheless.  ;D

I recently purchased a UTG M490 Tri Shot shotgun and already had plans before the gun even got here.

When I first got it I was slightly disappointed with the stock and pump action for the gun. The pump was very hard to pull back consistantly (and I am by no means a weakling) and the stock was wobbly and slipped from its positions if pushed against too hard, which I found myself doing regularly when pumping the gun.

I immediately began searching for a way to tighten the stock but discovered a major issue in my adjustment. The hex screw that secured the stock to the gun was about 6-7 inches down inside the buffer tube for the collapsible stock and therefore unreachable with my tools. After a day or two of thinking about it I decided to chop off an inch or so of the buffer tube so as to allow me access to the screw.

After removing the uneeded section of the buffer tube I was able to reach the screw with a combination of a couple different tools and removed the stock.

This is where it got fun!

My younger brother has a UTG M3L Tri-Shot Shotgun and has had it for a while now. However he had made it known to me that he did not like the full length stock and wanted the pistol grip stock (one I had from my old M3L from several years back). When I got my shotgun this week and knew right away I wanted to swap our two stocks but hit the hit screw and was stonewalled.
But when I got my stock off I was easily able to take his full length stock off of his M3L and transfer it to my M490 and with a little elbow greese and Locktite i was able to secure it to my gun. After a little thinking I was also able to take my stock and transfer it to his shotty as well.

Along with a red/green dot sight, a little cutting and sanding, I now have a sweet full length tri shot shotgun (and for some reason with the full length stock, its easier to pump) and my little brother has a perfect sized shotty for him as well.

Here are the finished products!

(other mods: I cut off the front sight post, removed the rear sight and sanded down the pieces of plastic that held the screws from the sight.)

-Blackjack
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 03:31:47 PM by Supercell »
-Blackjack♠

Custom Classic Army M4 - Grunt
Custom Elite Force M1911A1 - Maverick
Custom UTG M490 Shotgun - Breacher

CUSTOM METAL/POLISH WORK HERE http://springfieldairsoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=1479.msg15565#new

Adam

• Certified Armaholic
  • Playing smarter
    • View Profile
    • Armaholic
Re: Custom Shottys
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 09:57:49 PM »
I like it. If I decide to run a shotgun, that full length is exactly what I would go for.
The Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have done unto yourself.

BlackJack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 07:08:42 AM »
Yeah I really like the full length. Surprisingly it is still incredibly easy to use for close quarters.
I am hopefully getting both a laser and light fo tut today.

-Blackjack
-Blackjack♠

CUSTOM METAL/POLISH WORK HERE http://springfieldairsoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=1479.msg15565#new

BlackJack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 11:32:19 AM »
Just thought I would show you all what my shotgun looks like now.
I finally was able to add a rail, AFG and flash light.

The "Breacher"

I am still working to make sure the rail is essentially permanent on the gun. The past few tries to mount it left me with it falling off or not staying in place when the gun was cocked.
But for now, it is mounted! haha

-Blackjack
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 01:14:24 PM by BlackJack »
-Blackjack♠

Joe

• Plastic-Slingin' Primate
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 11:35:46 AM »
Blackjack,

How are you keeping the rail securely mounted on the shotgun?
Joe
SA Admin
Instigator
Honorary D9 Member
Founding Member, WECSOA*
*Wile E. Coyote School Of Airsmithing

"A man your age . . ."
--Fuzzy

"Anybody got any duct tape?  I need to Joe this gun."
--Reverendff7

BlackJack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 01:13:56 PM »
Joe,

At first I had it screwed into place in the original foregrip holes but the screws were too short and stripped out the holes.
At the moment I have longer screws through the holes on the rail, nuts screwed onto the screws (sandwiching the rail in the middle), and then they are (at the moment) held in simply by force and friction in the slots. Surprisinly they are in there pretty tight for now.
However, I intend to use some super strength glue in the very near future to glue the screws and nuts into place.
I almost had this working the other day but originally I had glued the nuts into the existing holes (fit perfectly) and then I was going to simply screw the screws through the rail and into the nuts (almost like making my own threaded holes) but after letting the glue dry for over a day, I went to mount the rail and the screws grabbed the threads and just turned the nuts, ripping them from their holes.

So hopefully my second attempt will prove successful!

-Blackjack
-Blackjack♠