Author Topic: Classic Army KAC Stoner LMG  (Read 4580 times)

MickeyD

• View Profile
Classic Army KAC Stoner LMG
« on: November 25, 2014, 06:24:30 PM »
Hey guys, Mickey again. Just when I thought I was over airsoft LMG's, Classic Army decides to finally release their long-awaited Stoner LMG...

Introduction
The Stoner LMG (also known as the Stoner 99) is one of Eugene Stoner's last designs before he passed away. It is a belt-fed, gas operated LMG produced currently by Knight's Armament Company. Like it's real-steel counterpart, the Classic Army Stoner LMG is strictly full-auto, no single fire without the use of a MOSFET. It takes the same box magazine as an M249, though it does not accept M4 magazines. Both the airsoft version and the real Stoner have a low ROF (around 550 RPM) leaving some people wondering; Just what DOES the Stoner bring to the table?

The answer, weight.

The Stoner LMG weighs in at a feathery 10 pounds, 40% lighter than the M249! If you don't think that you could ever be a SAW gunner, think again. The ultra-light profile of this weapon makes it the lightest in it's class.

Construction
Despite coming in at only 10 pounds, there is hardly any plastic on the Stoner. The only plastic part is the pistol grip (if you don't count the included box magazine and TangoDown rail covers). According to the distributor's website the rest of the gun is composed of aluminum and *some* steel. Overall the gun is surprisingly solid, with the only wobble being on the butt of the stock and the outer barrel (which can be removed with the push of a lever). The 1200 round box magazine is almost identical to previous models from Classic Army, though it does not have the same feed tube mechanism because of the way it attaches to the receiver. The one included with the gun is tan, though CA offers spare box mags in other colors/patterns. To top off the feel of the gun Classic Army has included TangoDown style rail covers that have a nice texture and are easy to slide on/off the rails.

Features
Externals
While the Stoner is not a complete redesign of the LMG, it does have some features worth mentioning. The stock has 6 positions and can be easily removed. The barrel can also be removed quickly with a lever at the base of the barrel. This is how you access the internal battery compartment, though you can also run a PEQ box which is what I chose to do. Moving to the receiver you can see that the feed tray cover is different than an M249, as it is much shorter. The remaining length of the top of the receiver is used for a picatinny rail; this way you don't throw off your optic when you flip up the feed tray. The receiver also featured Licensed Knight's Armament Trademarks.

Internals
The hop-up system of the Stoner LMG is identical to the M249 hop-up, so hop-up upgrades are a must for this gun. The gearbox is not in any way like an M249's though, as I have yet to see any other gearbox like this one. It somewhat resembles a Version 6 without the motor cage (since the motor is housed in the grip). Luckily the gearbox is Version 2 compatible, so no need to worry about finding spare parts for it. The trigger assembly features an electronic switch rather than the traditional AEG contacts, meaning that you *should* be able to run a Lipo without running the risk of burning something up. The last note-worthy part of the gearbox is the quick-change spring guide, though the upper receiver has to be removed to access it.

Performance
As mentioned earlier, the gun comes stock with a M249 style hop-up chamber and a low rate of fire. These two factors can leave the shooter disappointed at both the range and quickness of the Stoner LMG, despite chrono-ing at almost 400 FPS. To remedy this, I replaced the stock CA torque-up gears with SHS 16:1 high speed gears and upgraded the hop-up and barrel. After installing a prometheus 6.03 tight bore, maple leaf bucking, and a M249 hop-up fix I saw much better groupings and range (around 150 feet) at over 20 bbs per second (on an 11.1 Lipo). I am disappointed that the gun took as much work as it did to meet my requirements, but it was well worth it in the end. My next step is to replace the compression set with SHS parts so that I can squeeze a little more FPS out of this setup.

Before I ramble on too much about my love for this LMG, I'll quickly finish up by saying that this AEG is well worth it if you are willing to put in some extra cash to make it perform to it's true potential. If you are looking for an LMG that isn't going to break your back, or one that is simply different than every other SAW on the field then the Stoner LMG by Classic Army would be a great option, though the price is pretty typical for an LMG at around $400. If you have any questions or comments feel free to leave them below.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 11:16:23 PM by MickeyD »
Magpul EVERYTHING

Joe

• Plastic-Slingin' Primate
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Classic Army KAC Stoner LMG
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 06:55:36 PM »
Mickey, maybe I missed it but what does this LMG cost?  What is the capacity of the drum mag and what does the gun weigh fully loaded (mag, ammo & battery)?

You described your improvements in some detail but what sort of performance improvements (besides ROF) such as FPS and range did you observe?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 07:00:46 PM by Joe »
Joe
SA Admin
Instigator
Honorary D9 Member
Founding Member, WECSOA*
*Wile E. Coyote School Of Airsmithing

"A man your age . . ."
--Fuzzy

"Anybody got any duct tape?  I need to Joe this gun."
--Reverendff7

MickeyD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 07:28:28 PM »
These run around $400. That was my main gripe for the out-of-box performance, but that price is pretty typical for any LMG. The box magazine holds 1200 rounds though the 5000 rounds box mags are available as well. The gun itself weighs right around 12 pounds fully loaded with battery installed. After my upgrades the Stoner's range easily doubled, but that's not saying much since it was so poor out of the box. While my fps remained constant at around 390, my hop-up upgrades got it shooting somewhere around 150 feet. I know I don't need a LMG with the range of a DMR, I just need something that can at least outrange the average pistol.
Magpul EVERYTHING

MickeyD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 07:01:19 PM »
Pictures have been added, enjoy!
Magpul EVERYTHING