Author Topic: Inner barrel questions  (Read 930 times)

Fenix031882

• View Profile
Inner barrel questions
« on: December 27, 2014, 08:24:26 PM »
As some of you may know I'm the proud owner of a kwa PTS scout erg. I'm going to be doing some  upgrades to it and one of which is going to be a new inner barrel.

My question is 2 fold :

6.01 or 6.03

455mm or 509mm

It will be a DMR so any input is appreciated.
Its always better to be a first rate version of yourself than a second rate version of someone else.

Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is unknown, today is a gift, thats why they call it the present.

KWA Magpul ERG
G&G Scar L
JG M4A1 enhanced
WE M9 Marine edition
Echo 1 P90
Tri shot Shotgun
G&G MP5

Joe

• Plastic-Slingin' Primate
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Inner barrel questions
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 10:07:00 PM »
From what I've read, 6.03 is a safer bet than 6.01.  A 6.03 has enough "wiggle room" to safely fire a slightly flawed bb; that same bb will can leave a scratch down the length of your 6.01.

For what it's worth, a 6.03 inner barrel is usually the first (and often the only) upgrade I put in my AEGs.  It's never let me down.

I don't know what the stock inner barrel length is for your gun.  If you're going beyond the stock length then you may want to put in a different piston.  A longer barrel may require more air power than the stock piston provides.  I don't know what your needs are; that's just a thought.

If you're looking for range, you may also consider a "R-Hop" or a "Flat Hop" in place of your stock hop up system.  You can google those terms to read more.

My understanding is some KWA guns use a proprietary hop up unit.  If that's the case then you may need some mods or a different unit altogether.  I'll yield the floor to more experienced KWA users . .  .

On a sidenote, if the gun is not physically restricted to semiautomatic fire then you may also consider making that modification as well.  Some events (such as American MilSim) require DMR replicas to be physically unable to fire fully automatically.  It all depends where you want to use it.

You can call So Go.  The techs there can give you better guidance than me.

Good luck with your new baby!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 10:17:06 PM by Joe »
Joe
SA Admin
Instigator
Honorary D9 Member
Founding Member, WECSOA*
*Wile E. Coyote School Of Airsmithing

"A man your age . . ."
--Fuzzy

"Anybody got any duct tape?  I need to Joe this gun."
--Reverendff7

Fenix031882

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 10:51:31 PM »
Stock it's a 395mm 6.05 barrel and it has a drum hop unit. I've actually had this gun for a while  it haven't considered upgrades until now.

I believe Armour from the instigators has the same guy  but I can't seem to get a hold of him in regards to what, of any, upgrades he's had done.
Its always better to be a first rate version of yourself than a second rate version of someone else.

Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is unknown, today is a gift, thats why they call it the present.

KWA Magpul ERG
G&G Scar L
JG M4A1 enhanced
WE M9 Marine edition
Echo 1 P90
Tri shot Shotgun
G&G MP5

Fenix031882

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 11:17:44 PM »
I guess another question is it even worth the trouble to upgrade to the point of being a good DMR? Maybe I should just stay under 400fps and leave as a standard rifle?

KWA Magpul ERG
G&G Scar L
JG M4A1 enhanced
WE M9 Marine edition
Echo 1 P90
Tri shot Shotgun
G&G MP5

netshark993

• Come to the darkside, we have cookie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 07:17:29 PM »
6.03 is the way to go, as far as length if i remember correctly most stock pistons lose efficiency with anything longer than 455mm. Or according to a test doen by some guys on Airsoftsniperforum
P* advocate