Author Topic: Guns (AEG and GBB) in cold weather  (Read 2657 times)

Joe

• Plastic-Slingin' Primate
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Guns (AEG and GBB) in cold weather
« on: February 25, 2015, 08:21:21 PM »
We're experiencing a typical Ozarks winter:  warm/cool/cold/subzero/warm/cold/raining frogs, you get the idea.  What are your experiences with guns (both AEG and GBB) in the colder temps? 

If the colder weather is adversely affecting your gun's performance how do you deal with it?

I'm curious for folks' experiences and answers.
Joe
SA Admin
Instigator
Honorary D9 Member
Founding Member, WECSOA*
*Wile E. Coyote School Of Airsmithing

"A man your age . . ."
--Fuzzy

"Anybody got any duct tape?  I need to Joe this gun."
--Reverendff7

MickeyD

• View Profile
Re: Guns (AEG and GBB) in cold weather
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 08:40:40 PM »
     A lot of it (I think) comes down to the quality of the gun and the size of the magazine. Both my KWA LM4 and my Tokyo Marui HK45 have worked fine even on the coldest days, but they both have pretty large magazines (especially the LM4). The most common guns I see that have issues with the cold are single stack pistols like the WE 1911s, though the Co2 Elite Force 1911s hold up great. I have seen everything from hand warmers to using the CQB's floor heaters to remedy the colds effect on GBB magazines. I guess that sums up airsoft pretty well; improvisation.
     As far as AEGs go, I have heard that batteries die quicker when it's cold though I cannot say for sure. It makes sense though, as a battery is essentially a chemical reaction taking place in the cells, and warmer temperatures typically aid chemical reactions. Without sounding too geeky, I think it would be cool to see someone test that theory out.
Magpul EVERYTHING

Reverandff7

• Playing smarter
    • View Profile
Re: Guns (AEG and GBB) in cold weather
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 03:22:52 PM »
Well that would be pretty awesome of a test. It has been my experience that it also depends on what the battery is running. Example is my 10.8 3300 battery dies faster then my firefox 9.6 2200 ... and that is being used on the same gun. Then again it just could be the quality of the battery as well. My 10.8 is an Echo1 PEQ battery, and my firefox 9.6 is a nunchuck so I don't know what to say to this. The only thing I could say as far as the gas goes is my we glock... I have found that the polly mags work better in the cold then the metal mags. Just my thoughts
Travis Perry
N.O.V.A. Team Leader
G&G SIG553
Custom SIG552
H&k Umerex G36CV
We G17
CYMA 030(with highcap mag)

Network Of Violent Activities - Thats what we are and what we do.