Author Topic: Radio Manual  (Read 8099 times)

eodguy02

Re: Radio Manual
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 08:45:52 AM »
Good post, makes sense and that how I was taught in the military.

Boba Fett

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 07:35:41 PM »
Very good advice! I'll try to find ways to incorporate that. See when I wrote this it was designed for a class I was going to teach for my team. It's designed mainly for my team, thus, I wrote it thinking in a small box.

Dragon

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 08:09:37 PM »
Bobba,
I found that info I was asking about...

Here's some need to know stuff on radio communications:

Hybrid FRS/GMRS consumer radios have been introduced that have 22 channels. Many of these radios have been certified for unlicensed operation (on the 14 FRS frequencies, channels 1-14) under FRS rules.[1]

The FCC rules and statements regarding the use of hybrid radios on channels 1-7 stipulate the need for a GMRS license when operating under the rules that apply to the GMRS. Many hybrid radios have an ERP that is lower than 0.5 watts on channels 1-7, or can be set by the user to operate at low power on these channels. This allows hybrid radios to be used under the license-free FRS rules if the ERP is less than 0.5 watts and the unit is certified for FRS operation on these frequencies.

Owners of hybrid radios should be aware that in the United States of America it is illegal to operate on channels 15-22 without an FCC GMRS license. Most radio manufacturers do not make this sufficiently clear to customers. Consequently, this can cause unlawful interference to GMRS licensees. As GMRS licenses cost money to obtain, such interference is a source of frustration for duly-licensed operators.

Channels 8-14 are exclusively for FRS. Accordingly, GMRS operation is not allowed on these channels. Channels 15-22 are reserved exclusively for GMRS. As noted, FRS operation is not allowed on these channels.

Channels 8-14 are exclusively for FRS. <<< These are the channels we need to use in order to keep from getting into FCC and other licensing troubles.

FRS is the family use thingy for 2 way radio comms. Requires no licenses to operate/use... and is relatively low powered as to not interfere with other established licensed channels.
GMRS channels... are licensed channels set aside for general use... I think there are some loop-holes in the frequency uses, like our radios should be low powered enough it gets by on the other channels. But, I'd rather not take the chance.

Channels 1-7 are kinda used by both... as far as I can tell. The wiki wasn't to clear on exact usage.

Some clubs have recommended FRS Channel 1 as a national emergency/calling channel, such as REACT International, Inc. and the National SOS Radio Network.

Channel 2 is typically used by geocaching groups when trying to connect with other geocachers.[2]
<< was about all it said about "shared channels".

The PRIME channel to Use would be 8. It's open, free as far as I can tell.

Secondary channels I think would be 3, 5, and 7. I say that because I know from my wireless scans and spectrum analysis... channels 1, 2, 6, and 11 are the busiest , and are generally bad contributes to " dirty air", which means interference with wireless and other radio-wave com devices. Baby-scanners, wireless cards, some older phone bases in houses... ect.

3, 5, and 7 are shared channels though... and I'm not sure what rescue & safety , police departments, or any other licensed organizations are using around here.

Words in voice procedure
See also: Procedure word

Some words with specialized meanings are used in radio communication throughout the English-speaking world, and in international radio communications, where English is the lingua franca.

* Affirmative — Yes
* Negative — No
* Reading you Five / Loud and clear — I understand what you say 5x5.
* Over — I have finished talking and I am listening for your reply. Short for "Over to you."
* Out or Clear — I have finished talking to you and do not expect a reply.
* Roger — Information received.
* Copy — I understand what you just said (after receiving information).
* Wilco — Will comply (after receiving new directions).
* Go ahead or Send your traffic — Send your transmission.
* Say again — Please repeat your last message (Repeat is not used as it is a specific command when calling for artillery fire)
* Break — Signals a pause during a long transmission to open the channel for other transmissions, especially for allowing any potential emergency traffic to get through.
* Break-Break — Signals to all listeners on the frequency, the message to follow is priority. Almost always reserved for emergency traffic or in NATO forces, an urgent 9 line or Frag-O.
* Standby or Wait one — Pause for the next transmission. This usually entails staying off the air until the operator returns after a short wait.
* Callsign-Actual — Sometimes an individual (generally a superior) may have a person monitor the network for them. Saying "actual" after their callsign asserts you wish to speak to the specific person the callsign is attached to.
* Sécurité — Maritime safety call. Repeated three times. Has priority over routine calls.
* Pan-pan — Maritime/aviation urgency call. Repeated three times. Has priority over safety calls.
* Mayday — Maritime/aviation distress call. Repeated three times and at beginning of every following transmission relating to the current distress situation. Has priority over urgency and safety calls.

"Roger" was the U.S. military designation for the letter R (as in received) from 1927 to 1957.[1]

The phrases "over" and "out" are generally only used on maritime radios since there are usually far fewer transmissions.[citation needed] Air traffic control (aviation) radio communications, on the other hand, are usually very busy, particularly in the airport environment.[citation needed] The terms "over" and "out" are never used on air traffic control (aviation) radio communications in the interest of "com brevity".[citation needed] Amateur Radio operators avoid using the term out and instead give their registered callsign and "clear" themselves from the frequency being used as this is in compliance with FCC laws governing their usage and practice.

British Army

Station C21(charlie-two-one) talking to C33(charlie-three-three):

C21: Hello C33, this is C21, over.

C33: C33, [send], over.

C21: C21, have you got Sunray C10 at your location?, over.

C33: C33, No, I think he is with C30, over.

C21:C21, roger, out.

The advantage of this sequence is that the recipient always knows who sent the message.

The downside is that the listener only knows the intended recipient from the context of the conversation. Requires moderate signal quality for the radio operator to keep track of the conversations.

However a broadcast message and response is fairly efficient.

0: Hello all stations, this is 0. Radio check. over.

1: 1. ok. over.

2: 2. ok. over.

3: 3. difficult. over.

4: 4. ok. over.

0: 0. 3 difficult. out. (the other stations know they can be heard by 0 as 'OK')

This was taken from the FCC 2 way radio discussion Group... it's a compiling of several threads into one done by another author.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 08:12:14 PM by Dragon »

eodguy02

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 09:38:58 PM »
Great info thanks for looking it up and sharing

Boba Fett

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 10:05:46 PM »
Awesome find Dragon! Thanks and in the future printed manuals I will include this!