Author Topic: Grenades in CQB  (Read 5956 times)

Metal

• View Profile
Grenades in CQB
« on: July 17, 2011, 10:56:28 PM »
Yesterday the majority of the D9 core team headed up to SoGo for an open play day. After being to SoGo several times I knew for a fact that any vest besides maybe an LBE would be pointless and that just carrying some odds and ends on an ALICE belt would suffice. I luckily found some old junky MOLLE double frag grenade pouches and brought my AI impact and timer grenades along.

I had never used grenades in CQB but was really looking forward to the opportunity. Bash and I both used 1 timed version and 1 impact. I honestly expected the timed grenade to the one to shine between the two with it's ability to actually bounce around corners before detonation. For some reason, almost ever time either Bash or myself tossed a timed grenade the throw was terrible or bounced funny and went outside *EHEM* Bash *EHEM*. With a little ingenuity and thinking before throwing my impact, it worked with staggering success. A couple times I threw my impact up against the wall at about torso height to get kills. I believe my best one was when players from spawn 2 met up with my team in the left (for us, right side for them) halway where I could hear them around the corner inside a room that I knew for a fact would be suicide to try to take myself. I knew there were at least two in the room which was all motivation I needed to break out my grenade. I threw it down the hall and hit the steel wall send 200 bbs into the door area. I then heard tons of people say 'HIT!' and I looked around the corner and saw at least 4 people returning to their respawn from the room.

On a funny note, after Bash and I had made everyone aware that we had grenades to throw, people were on edge. As Bash and I were stacking up on a corner and getting ready to go down a hallway Bash spotted one of my failed timed grenade throws and picked up the 'dead' grenade. He then turns to me and says, 'Here we go!...Watch THIS.' Bash then rolled the dead grenade down the hall in front of us as we followed close behind it and heard people yelling and running for cover all over. We made it all the way to the other side of the building because of that! lols

Needless to say, I will NEVER go back to SoGo without bringing my AI grenades. I never had one not go off exactly like it was supposed to. Also, not only did they get me some great kills and they inspired fear to a great effect. If I could give anyone else some advise with these grenades is to LUBE IT OFTEN and ONLY LUBE WITH THE OFFICIAL AI GRENADE OIL!! If you fail to do either one of those, your grenade will fail you.

Hailey

Re: Grenades in CQB
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
You guys may of had the gernades on your side, but we had the 203 launcher on our side. We had gernades that we could have used, Jon just wouldn't let us use them against you guys, but gernades do work well in the CQB I Personally like the impact gernades, but they both do work well.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:24:53 PM by Supercell »

Supercell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • So Go Airsoft
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 04:31:50 PM »
Yea, I wouldn't let my guys take them in there.  But I do like the impact better than the timed grenades.  On our testing I was hit 25 our 25 times tested with the impact grenades.  Plus I believe they hit harder also. 
I'm not sure who would have been running from the grenades on our side except those couple of Newbe's.  (which is what most of us did in the beginning)  Not to say I don't have my moments when I am really not ready for it when I am talking to another player.  But our regular guys have gotten pretty good at spotting dummy grenades.  Every once in awile I try and get it thrown back before they go off. (on the timed ones of course)
It was good time and I was glad to see you guys made it up here even though there was alot of heat.

Jon
So go Airsoft
Supercell

chuckysknife3

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 03:37:54 AM »
@metal, still remember when i was runnin down that hallway and one hit me in the leg..I was soo pumped to slide...SLAMM!*awwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh*..

Brendon

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 10:54:14 PM »
Im always running afraid of grenades. They make loud booms. Thats honestly the only thing scary, sorry....

Dragon

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 09:13:52 AM »
My first Sogo's trip, was with Recon and Biggs...

I got to experience a full AI Tornado blast. I had never seen one of these before in real life at that time.

We were in a hall way, near respawn 2, which was a "bedroom" like area in the opposite corner where it's at now.
 The three of us, controlled this corner forever during a game... at one time though, we had maneuvered back around the other corner to take care of some OPFOR trying to get at our 6.
 When we were going back to the corner we controlled...

I was looking back behind us... Cody and Chris were up front, and I heard em both groan. I turn around to see what they were making noise over, and the grenade went off. It was right between my feet... and went off. My lower torso and legs took almost every shot out of it.  I honestly never seen the grenade until after-wards, and then only after I moved it with my foot after it hit me.

I knew then they were effective if deployed right.

The ONLY time I've used a grenade in Sogo's , is when BenShee handed me his impact during a game. OPFOR was around a corner, and hugging an odd angle down a hallway.
 I popped the grenade down the hall and it did go off.  It made a huge BOOM, not quite as loud as a Thunder B, but it was LOUD.  It made the guys in the hall jump and run...
 The bottom cap came off when it "popped", so no BBs came out.  It was confusing to both sides, as to what transpired. The OPFOR went back to respawn , and when I collected it and it was still full of BBs... I tried to get one of their dead team mates to tell em, that actually didn't count as a "kill" because they didn't get nailed with BBs from it.
It was loud as crap though. Something about the bottom wasn't on good enough , and it just didn't work correctly.

I tried using a cheapo SY grenade in Sogos that day too... but honestly, never buy one of these. They simply never work right. They make great boobie-traps if used right, but as grenades, they suck.

My favorite grenades are Thunder Bs, though you can't use em in Sogos.
Since I play out-doors more... they are simply just more versatile, and the loud BOOM is wonderful as well.
I've seen Tornados have trouble in wooded areas and non-flat terrain , making em not spew out BBs right to be effective.

M203s... Kinda nice. Fun as all get out to shoot and hear the pops from them.  Can't say they are very practical as BB shooters. Slightly a bit intimidating... In Sogos, they probably work better as anti-personnel shooters.  I don't really use mine in Sogos ever... as I just think they are a bit "over-kill" for the close quarters play. You rarely get a chance to blast multiple OPFOR with a shower... most the time, you safety-kill one or two around a corner with em, but other than that, not really practical or that effective in my opinion.
 Outdoors... I've had a 50/50 percentage of luck with mine. I've missed and hit OPFOR both with the showers. Now though, I've gotten some rockets to use at big OPs , where you need rockets to take out Comms towers, vehicles, and fortified bunkers. OKI6 showed me, they were highly useful and valuable to have as a grenadier ( which BTW, is my ROLE usually on our team. ). I can fire a rocket at least 100' away, and have shot em farther than that by "accident" ( not really having my angle right when test firing.). The rockets have greater M203 range ... and the ability to blow up a half track, or APC is priceless in a big OP.
 I like Boom-Booms ... though, I'm kinda still refining my grenadier load out, and attaining more gear to be effective in different places and situations.
 To me, Sogo's just really isn't big enough to warrant carrying alot of BOOMs on ya.  Effective as they can be, I'd rather just shoot and face that higher challenge myself.

Shaggy

• View Profile
    • SO GO AIRSOFT
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 07:50:12 AM »
I love when people use grenades! I always know how many they have and how many have gone off during a game... Makes tricking people with thrown mags that much easier! hahah! If you have had me do that to you then you know what I am talking about!

~Shaggy
“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.” -Sun Tzu

Reverandff7

• Playing smarter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 04:12:09 PM »
well i agree... I still have a flawless record at SoGo. I have not been hit by one in any match at all *looks for wood to knock on* but i will say that they put an advantage to the throwers. I have a VFC MAPLE LEAF which every buddy thats everyone that knows about it. The delay on it is CRAZY LONG no matter what you adjust it to... i would say its about a min.lol. Anyways the kill i got was i pulled the pin and set it it in a hallway and just walked away. By the time i got to the other side i heard it go off... and 2 people called out lol. I called it my delayed claymore lol. 75 rounds in all directions it was pretty funny. Needless to say everyone that saw my nade just sitting up in the hallway just took another way around... it only worked 2 times but still worth it. GOT IT ON VIDEO...
Travis Perry
N.O.V.A. Team Leader
G&G SIG553
Custom SIG552
H&k Umerex G36CV
We G17
CYMA 030(with highcap mag)

Network Of Violent Activities - Thats what we are and what we do.

Renagade

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 08:32:40 AM »
Wait. Didnt you take a grenade to the back by friendlies back in jan?

Reverandff7

• Playing smarter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 01:07:42 AM »
Not me ... i know ross did
Travis Perry
N.O.V.A. Team Leader
G&G SIG553
Custom SIG552
H&k Umerex G36CV
We G17

Sundown

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 01:58:25 PM »
You still have a flawless record because i haven't used mine in the CQB in a long time, so come on out and ill end your recorded, either with a Tornado or a m203, ill let you choose. See ya on the field soon ;)

Reverandff7

• Playing smarter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 10:21:01 AM »
LOL thats awesome... but ill tell you what... you would be surprised on what kind of moves i gots lol
Travis Perry
N.O.V.A. Team Leader
G&G SIG553
Custom SIG552
H&k Umerex G36CV
We G17

Renagade

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 11:26:20 AM »
yea the "tuck tale and run method!"

why he always lives

Reverandff7

• Playing smarter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 04:29:24 AM »
OOOO ren im gonna get you foo lol.
Travis Perry
N.O.V.A. Team Leader
G&G SIG553
Custom SIG552
H&k Umerex G36CV
We G17

porkchop

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 07:09:08 PM »
My Tornado impact grenade pays for itself evey time I use it. Last Sat.'s event I chased one kid down the northside hallway. When he ducked around the corner, I slowed down and heard him warning a teammate of my approach. I hook shot my grenade and it landed right in the center of their formation. 5, count 'em, 5 white head bands went moping back to their respawn point! Sweeeeeeeeeet!!!!

"Phase plasma rifle, in a 40 watt range......"