Author Topic: Face protection, any cool ideas for custom face masks?  (Read 6530 times)

netshark993

• Come to the darkside, we have cookie.
    • View Profile
Face protection, any cool ideas for custom face masks?
« on: November 09, 2011, 09:47:43 AM »
i have one and was wondering if anyone else did. http://www.respirated.com/images/Products/respirators/resp23.jpg making a full face gas mas, and turning it into a face mask.
P* advocate

ShootEmUp

Re: Face protection, any cool ideas for custom face masks?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 08:13:28 AM »
Me and my friend went to Wal-Mart and bought one of those freaky Halloween masks and coated the inside with a resin and let it harden over night. The next morning it had hardened making it protective against bbs (we unloaded 300 rounds on the mask but the resin is extremely strong) and then we glued fabric to the inside so we wouldn't be breathing in resin smell so much. Then we took some small concave plastic pieces to go in the eye hole (this plastic was the kind of plastic you would find on your average airsoft mask) and glued them in place. We tested it once more and played a couple hours with it. We've used for about two months now and never had any problems.

wanna b bada$$

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 05:50:35 AM »
U will want to be carfull with gas masks the plastic and or glass is not safty rated on many masks
Build a man a fire he is warm for the day set a man on fire he it warm the rest of his life

Classic army m4
Aps spical wepon m4
Utg tri shot
Svd dragnove
Ksg desert egale
We socom 1911
We special forces m9

netshark993

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 09:12:15 AM »
U will want to be carfull with gas masks the plastic and or glass is not safty rated on many masks
I was thinking just take the frame from a modern style full face lense mask, and replacing it with mesh, and just using the seal around the face.
P* advocate

ShootEmUp

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 09:27:19 PM »
I don't like mesh very much. Although it is breathable, I've seen a kid taken to the hospital to have his eyes checked because a bb shattered when it hit his mask and got in his eyes (they flushed his eyes in the ambulance, yeah, ambulance).

netshark993

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 09:45:39 PM »
i would wear sealed lens goggles underneath. the mesh is to protect my teeth. and so i can breathe.
P* advocate

ShootEmUp

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 09:53:53 PM »
Ah, I see, I guess if you got bb shards in you mouth than you could spit them out. Good thinking, never thought about that, I guess I just didn't understand what you were saying.

Dragon

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 02:00:52 PM »
I don't like mesh very much. Although it is breathable, I've seen a kid taken to the hospital to have his eyes checked because a bb shattered when it hit his mask and got in his eyes (they flushed his eyes in the ambulance, yeah, ambulance).

Thats is why you don't use cheap BBs.  Good bbs break on the seam, and do not flake or shatter.

Bios, also shatter on impact.

ShootEmUp

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 03:29:12 PM »
Of course, they wern't like King Arms or Airsoft Elite or anything like that. They were probably Walmart bbs, that's probably just because people don't see the point in buying five-thousand bbs for $15 and there wouldn't be unless you you played hardcore or milsim kind of stuff. I use some bbs I found at Bass Pro once and I've used them to mess with ever since and they aren't bad quality but probably not as good as Goldenball or something.

Dragon

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 02:59:54 PM »
I am VERY picky about the BBs I use.

Jon and I both seem to have the same taste in BBs, and the same concerns about shattering or chipping BBs.  we are constantly testing even brands we know are good, cause recently, the Airsoft elites were shattering on impact , where as before they were breaking on the seam... if they broke at all.

ANY .12 in anyting over 200 FPs, is going to break and shatter.  I dunno why they even make the .12s to be honest.

don't buy BBs from Walmart, Academy, or other "sporting goods" stores... they don't carry "good enough" brands.

Saving a few bucks, on quality ammo... is not a good thing.  Not only are the "cheaper" grade BBs bad for your AEG, they aren't polished enough for good accuracy, and of course... most of em shatter or chip when striking hard surfaces.

Placing all the responsibility on your OPFOR, is flat out the wrong way of thinking... in the name of saving a buck or two, at least. 
The cost comparison is nominal at best... 5,000 cheap grade bbs, is not THAT much cheaper than nice 4,000 count bags of decent grade bbs.

My recommendation, buy your BBs from Sogos.  Jon doesn't carry crap BBs.  Prices are affordable as well.

ShootEmUp

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 11:00:37 PM »
No man, I'm not trying arouse anything I was just saying used bbs from Walmart before in my high-end AEG and had no problems. Am I saying that's a smart thing to do, no, all of us have our opinions don't worry man. I'm not trying to say your wrong either, it's just good advice to help some players from having an unfortunate disaster.