Author Topic: Beginning Loadout  (Read 6517 times)

CasoPrime

• View Profile
Beginning Loadout
« on: June 09, 2015, 12:29:31 PM »
Hey guys,
I am looking into getting into airsoft. Looking at my initial investment, what all will i need to get started. I can upgrade most of my equipment. I have some dark wood digital BDU's from paintball already. I know i will need a chest rig, or some way to haul extra mags/equipment around.

Also, What types of guns would be best for an entry level? Looking for something that starts decent and that i will be able to upgrade later on. I would like something that has blowback. Not sure if electric or gas would be the way to go on that.

How important is it to have a sidearm starting out?

Thanks In Advance.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 12:32:28 PM by CasoPrime »
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

MickeyD

• View Profile
Re: Beginning Loadout
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 05:12:23 PM »
     Hello CasoPrime, I will try my best to keep this un-biased. As far as a starter load out goes, I would recommend an electric rifle (AEG) as it will make everything easier (and cheaper). For one thing, you can choose to run high or mid capacity magazines which will let you carry more ammo with less magazines, therefore less pouches for your vest/chest rig are needed. Another route you can consider is a molle battle belt if lightweight setups are your thing. One thing you may want to consider is the type of gameplay you want to set up your gear for. Personally, I run a plate carrier indoors since you get shot from closer up and it provides more all-around coverage. When playing outdoors I use a chest rig since they tend to be lighter and I don't need the full coverage.

As I said, AEG's are the easiest to work with. They are more upgradeable and require minimal maintenance compared to a gas gun. I normally, however, would not recommend an electric blowback rifle. They tend to draw more power from your battery and cause more wear and tear on your internals (not to mention they hardly have any noticeable recoil). That being said, I have heard good things about the KWA ERG as well as the G&G pneumatic blowback compared to other systems. If blowback is a must for you, then you may want to look into the G&G gas blowback Combat Machine Series for a beginner level gas gun. One big thing to consider is the cost of gas gun magazines, as they typically cost around $50 per 30 round magazine versus $8-12 per 120 round AEG magazine.

You will find many different opinions on sidearms in airsoft, coming from both tactical and practical points of view. Staring out though, I would highly recommend getting set up with a solid primary weapon and basic gear before moving onto sidearms. You can look at them in the same way as grenades and such. They can wait until later. Anyway, hope this helped somewhat (let me know if I missed anything). I just thought you might appreciate advice from a So Go employee who helps new players get into the sport every day.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 05:16:09 PM by MickeyD »
Magpul EVERYTHING

CasoPrime

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 06:42:22 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate the info, I am actually planning on coming up there either tomorrow night, or thursday. With any AEG, can you at least feel that you are pulling the trigger?

Are the guns easy to upgrade? I am very familiar with field-stripping and complete tear downs with quite a few real firearms. Is there a big difference? Like on an AR platform, can you switch from the plastic hand grip to a quad rail? I have been looking around on Evikes site just to kind of get an idea, but to be honest, it is a little overwhelming. All the manufacturers, different types of guns/battery set ups. What is LIPO?

Sorry if i am asking too many questions. I am just really interested in Airsoft and want to make informed decisions about the type of equipment to get.
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

MickeyD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 07:53:01 PM »
Most airsoft guns will give you some level of feedback when you pull the trigger. You'll have to test fire one of our AEG's to see for yourself but yeah, you can tell when you pull the trigger. AEG's are somewhat put together like a real firearm, but are completely different in a lot of places too. You can do a lot to the externals such as quad rails and changing out the furniture, though internal upgrades are not at all like a real firearm and require experience to work with. So Go offers tech services for this reason.

As for Lipo, the term refers to a Lithium-Polymer battery. Standard airsoft batteries come in different shapes and sizes to accommodate different compartments, and also come in different voltages that affect how "snappy" the gun is when you pull the trigger. Lipos are just a different type of battery that has caught on in the past few years in airsoft, as they have been popular with RC cars for quite a while. Some players prefer them because they are typically smaller (lighter), more powerful and more efficient. The downside is that most AEGs are made for a standard 9.6V battery, so when you hook up a more powerful battery (like an 11.1V Lipo) they can cause more wear and tear or even sudden breakage on a stock gun. A gun can be upgraded to handle a Lipo just fine, though most players run a standard battery to increase their gun's life. Basically, don't worry about Lipo batteries right now.
Magpul EVERYTHING

CasoPrime

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 08:23:17 PM »
Thanks for the advice man. I am going to stop by the shop. Look at a couple things there. Hopefully hold a gun or two and see what it is all about. it will be in the evening so i dont think i will have time to rent a gun and play a game. After softball ends for me, i want to make it on a thursday night(which will make the wife happy, keeping the new hobby on the same night) for the scenario games.

MickeyD

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 08:49:41 PM »
No problem. Feel free to PM me or call So Go if you have any more questions. Also, were you aware that there are games on Saturday nights as well? Just checking if someone already told you.
Magpul EVERYTHING

CasoPrime

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 09:10:21 PM »
I was not. I thought the scenario games were only on thursdays. i may have to come up for that one night as well.

CasoPrime

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 09:56:10 PM »
Hey man, I only get 1 PM per hour. I just wanted to thank you for talking with me tonight. Very informative. Cant wait to play on saturday!

Supercell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • So Go Airsoft
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 12:10:08 AM »
I'll see about fixing that.
Glad we got to meet today. We do have a lot of fun. And fun is the key word there.

Jon
Sogo airsoft

MickeyD

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 07:52:41 AM »
No problem, always glad to help a new player out!
Magpul EVERYTHING

CasoPrime

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 11:40:04 AM »
Hey guys, Anything in particular i need for tomorrow night? Also does it start at 5 or 6?

MickeyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 12:31:16 PM »
If you are renting a gun then it will come with ammo and a face mask, so really just long pants and shirt to cover exposed skin. It goes from 5-9
Magpul EVERYTHING

Supercell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • So Go Airsoft
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 01:08:55 PM »
If you have gloves and vest also bring them.  Not sure what you had with your paintball stuff.  Even the mask.  So you can feel comfortable in your own stuff.

Jon

CasoPrime

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 01:38:50 PM »
I will have to see if i can find my mask. It has been a while since i played. i tried on my BDU's just to see if they still fit...apparently they did about 20 lbs ago. Lol.

What do you require for eye protection?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 01:47:33 PM by CasoPrime »

Supercell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • So Go Airsoft
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 03:32:58 PM »
Sealed eye protection.  Since you are over 18 we don't require lower face protection.  With that said.  you wouldn't catch me in there without something protecting my lower.  To many folks have received a healthy dental bill for the teeth getting repaired or replaced.  There are lower mesh that is really popular.

Jon
so go Airsoft