Author Topic: Using .20g bb's during Events and open play  (Read 10610 times)

Supercell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • So Go Airsoft
Using .20g bb's during Events and open play
« on: December 06, 2010, 05:35:12 PM »
I need to announce to everybody that you will only be allowed to use .20g bb's during open play and any events.  We will continue to chrono with .25's to get your FPS but after that you will need to use the .20g bb's.  If you have a private party you can use which ever you party says they are willing to play with.  But if you have a private party and say that anybody can come in to play with you then the .20g bb rule will apply.

Sorry to have to go this route.  I have always suggested that people use .20g and not the .25g in the CQB.  We don't want people hurt.  We just want them to know they got hit.  And .20g bb's do this just fine.  In fact the 300fps isn't even necessary.  But people want to push that limit and it is allowed by our insurance rules.
The reason we are implementing this new rule is because this weekend we ended up with somebody getting their finger broken.

I want people to come back to play and if their experience isn't anything but major pain and doctor bills this sport/hobby will suffer.  I want everybody to have a good time.

If you have any questions please PM me.

Thanks,
Jon
So go Airsoft
Supercell

det. mcclane

Re: Using .20g bb's during Events and open play
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 06:50:25 PM »
Man, I knew those .25's were hitting hard, but wow. I am glad you are switching to .2's for everybody, there has been a couple games I quit out a bit early after some particularly nasty stingers. I think this will be a good change, kudos to you. Hope the dude who had his finger broke is doing ok.

Supercell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • So Go Airsoft
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 08:11:32 PM »
He is doing fine.  He knows the way the game goes sometimes.  He is just trying to let me know there could be a problem in the future with someone that isn't so understanding.  And I know most every Airsofter knows there is pain involved.(at this level)  We don't like it all the time and sometimes we have to take a break after it happens.  But we all know when it is all said and done that it just happens sometimes.
I also think it will work out for the best.  I know it influences me playing if I see someone with .25's that doesn't have any trigger control.  I'll sit it out or make sure I take that person out first. lol
Anyway, thanks for the support on this decision.

Jon
So Go Airsoft

Princess

• German Camo, German Guns, German Beverages
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 10:33:16 PM »
How did he break his finger?
Formally known as Delt.
Rule #1: Look Good
Remember: Pimpin' ain't easy

Supercell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • So Go Airsoft
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 10:38:49 PM »
He got shot at the event.  it was probably a perfect hit or something but I know first hand that .25's are a bit overkill in the CQB.  Especially with those close shots.

Jon
Sogo Airsoft

Princess

• German Camo, German Guns, German Beverages
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 10:41:09 PM »
Wow, what type of gun was the shooter using? That must have insane FPS to break bone, unless it was at a joint, then i can understand perfectly.
Formally known as Delt.
Rule #1: Look Good
Remember: Pimpin' ain't easy

Dragon

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 07:08:18 AM »
The FPS was about 280 on his gun. 

It hit my finger just right below the knuckle on my left hand to snap the bone.  It was more because the bb density, which actually might have been greater due to the cold... that and catching my hand right in the right spot at the right time.

I'm sending some BBs to the collage, having a friend test temperature and density if they can.

Kadesh

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 10:27:16 AM »
I'm still having a rough time wrapping my head around this. In theory the energy transfer should be the same, over longer distances the heavier BB has more energy, but these are close distances... I guess I don't play enough to know the apparent pain difference, but nevertheless, the energy transfer required to break bone should be the same? Is the thought, that this wouldn't have happened with a lighter BB then?

Renagade

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 11:29:18 AM »
The power in distance with the weigh of bb's is not different.

However the heavy bb's impacts HARDER than the Other, Which causing more damage. Theoriticaly!

Dragon

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 01:43:46 PM »
I think it was more to the way it hit than actual he BB most likely.  I had my hand up on the mag well, so the bone got sandwiched between a BB and the magwell... no impact absorption.  I was also wearing armored gloves... so it was a phenomenon that I can't even grasp ahold of properly.

The shot was fired I'd say 25-30 feet away... from down a hall.  The guy who shot and I could see each other clearly.  I know him, know his gun wasn't hot, so it really just had to be one of those one in a million things.

However... even if it was a .20 ( I know it wasn't though, I know they guy shooting and what he was shooting.) , it's possible the same injury could have happened.

It wasn't just my broken finger though... talking to Jon about .25's seems a bit much for such close quarters. There isn't any wind or weeds to punch through in Sogo's, so no real need to have heavier velocity bbs.
 There was also a few scopes and even scope guards shot out last Saturday.

As Jon said, .25's can leave some nasty knots at close ranges. My hands are pretty bruised up and knotted on almost all knuckles I have from all day Saturday, lol.  It seemed hand shots were rampant ... my team mates also sport many hand and knuckle hits.  I know a few from other places that got hand hit as well.

That one shot... who knows. Maybe my finger bone was already weakened... I dunno to be honest. I wouldn't have guessed it was broke even at the time, but x-rays clearly showed the bruised bone and where it snapped.  Just a accident really.

It's just a minor safety issue , and a bit of common sense that.25's are a bit too much when a .20 is more than enough to get the job done in there.  
 Jon just doesn't want to take a chance that any more such injuries occur. Even as remotely long shots as they are.

Hehehe.. I'm fine though... this is minor.  Last year I broke three ribs playing outdoors taking a bad spill on a tree that was downed.  That one set me out of play for a few months... but this finger, ha!  Nope.. I'm still kicking it! Doesn't effect me at all.  I even finished the day at Sogo's after it happened.  It hurt, but was bearable.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 01:46:12 PM by Dragon »

Boba Fett

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 03:08:32 PM »
Ah Now I'm stuck with 3,000 .25's and I never play outdoors. ugh. I totally understand why you're doing this though.

Maybe this will make the game less painful. Like I tell everyone, I don't have fun playing airsoft, I just enjoy being able to say I do SOMETHING. lol

j man 3

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 06:17:37 PM »
is this rule for all guns including pistols?  was that the kid that was on the ground that Glen came to help?

Dragon

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 07:25:31 PM »
no, it was me, lol...

I do recall one little dude fell, hit his head on the wall.  Some other guys on the White Side was lighting him up... even though they were 15 feet away, and could clearly tell he was hit, and I thought it was obvious he was dazed and maybe hurt. He was holding his hand out saying he was hit...

I used my body to shield him, went to the respawn... came out after the shooters with a vengeance, only to discover they had bolted when I went to respawn.

He thanked me a bit later for sticking up for him. 

It's just things where folks aren't using common sense playing.
If people are playing the game to hurt others... they are in the wrong sport all the way around. 

There is nothing fun about injuries. 

Sure, BBs are supposto hurt a bit.  Thats the nature of things with airsoft. 

That's where it should end though.

Save the .25's for outdoors. 
( If anyone has extras, where you don't play outdoors... I will buy em off ya for reasonable price. Though I will note, I don't buy cheap grade BBs. though. )

j man 3

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 09:02:55 PM »
ouch what happend?

Boba Fett

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 09:10:33 PM »
Yeah I'll probably use them up sometime next year. I'll just hang onto them. Shooting spiders and stuff too.